Making healthy choices will be even easier in 2023 thanks to updated dietary guidelines coming from the FDA to your local grocery store, into your home, and onto your table.
These recipes highlight a few of the food items formally recommended for meals and snacks as part of a healthy lifestyle. For more on the FDA changes, see our story here…
Slow-Cooker Mediterranean Stew
- 2 x 14-oz cans no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 x 15-oz can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh basil leaves, torn
- 6 lemon wedges (Optional)
Combine tomatoes, broth, onion, carrot, garlic, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, and pepper in 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low 6 hours.
Measure 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker into a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons chickpeas; mash with a fork until smooth.
Add the mashed chickpeas, kale, lemon juice, and remaining whole chickpeas to the mixture in the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low until the kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
Ladle stew into 6 bowls; drizzle with oil. Garnish with basil. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Crispy SPICED & Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 x 15-oz can no-salt-added chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cumin plus ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp curry plus ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp zaatar plus ½ tsp sumac
- ½ tsp chili powder plus ½ tsp garlic powder
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Rinse chickpeas in a colander until water runs clear. With paper towel, dab chickpeas until dry.
Transfer chickpeas to baking sheet, add olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper, and toss until are well coated. Spread chickpeas in a single layer over the baking sheet. Bake chickpeas 30-35 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Eat immediately while warm or allow them to cool to store. Store up to 4 days in a container at room temp. Leave a small space in the lid; air helps chickpeas stay crisp.
Crunchy Greek Yogurt with Berry Medley
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.)
- ¼ cup All-Bran cereal
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon walnuts or almonds, chopped
In a cereal-size bowl, add the yogurt. Top yogurt with remaining ingredients.